Sunday, November 1, 2009

Do Not Want -- Random people posting quotes by other random people


Okay, I'm pretty easy going, and I hate flaming other people on the Web for doing their thing. For God's sake, look at this blog. I'm not exactly blazing new trails on the information highway. There's one Web rule we all need to agree to and communicate out to our fellow time-wasters, post-haste: 

A quotation is not a Status Update. 

In it's very definition, a Satus Update is, well, and update on your status. What's going on with you today (or this minute, if you're one of those people who can't get your fingers off your Twitter)? What are you working on? A Mark Twain quote tells me neither of those things. 

I'm not talking about the quote from a drunk friend the night before, or even the now-hoary-old-chestnut that is a Big Lebowski mention. I'm talking about those random, "Go get 'em, Tiger" quotes that are popping up everywhere I look. Listen, that's super-cool of you to want to motivate me and everyone else you tangentially know with a few inspirational words from somebody else. Super appreciate it. Yet, it's totally unnecessary. And I kind of don't want to see it anymore. Really. I can Google Bartlett's, too, if I have the urge. 

I'm seeing fewer of these on Facebook (I think I unfriended most of the perpetrators in my circle), but I still see them on the roided-out MBA-having arrogance-fest that is LinkedIn. In case you don't use LinkedIn, it's basically Facebook for people who want something from you (a job, a fake recommendation that ignores their actual incompetence, etc) in exchange for the promise of a reciprocating action when you need something in the future. It's allegedly called networking, but we'll call it what it is. But I digress.


I went off on this rant because one of my connections on LinkedIn is constantly posting dumb quotes. Like, twice a day. Like, this person has two Inspirational Quote of the Day calendars and he/she is transcribing them at 9 am and 3 pm on LinkedIn. My threshold was reached Friday when the quote was from Anais Nin. Anais Nin. Seriously, Anais Nin. In reference to creativity in business. Some completely out-of-context Anais Nin quote about not knowing the nature of something blah blah blah I don't even freaking know. I just couldn't deal. What better way to tell the world that you have no idea who the hell Anais Nin is than to post a quote on flipping LINKEDIN. I have no idea what Anais Nin thought about business. Neither did she, probably. The business of erotica publishing, maybe, but not the "I'm a marketing associate looking for opportunities in the online space"-type of business. But really, who better to get you psyched up to write that RFP or drive up the open-rate on your corporate newsletter than Anais Nin?

Kind of embarrassing, really.



No comments:

Post a Comment