Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kind of on the Fence About -- Top 5 Schadenfreude Websites

I love a good laugh at the expense of others as much as the next guy. And if you like laughing at strangers from the comfort of your own home then the Internet was made for you (Google's Do No Evil creed aside).

If you laugh watching people fall down stairs (who doesn't) or love making LOLCats-esque captions on found photos to send to friends, heh, I'm right there with you. I love that shit. I'll read your Tumbler blog devoted to bad mom jeans, and I was mocking mullets online when the Internet was in its diapers. It's just my own personal sense of vulnerability that keeps me from really loving all the new sites dedicated to pointing fingers at losers.

We're at a different place on the Web and in terms of technology, and because of this, any one of us could become the target of the scorn we heap on others from a distance. I'm well aware of the fact that I personally am getting older and am not the hep cat I once was. Who's to say the little number I throw together to go to the CVS at 3 am won't get cameraphoned by some high schooler and posted online because it makes my already-substantial rear look even more imposing? Or what if, after years of laughing at the poor, hamfisted, accidental Reply-to-Alls in various workplaces I make some embarrassing technological gaffe that is immediately captured as a screen shot to be shared across the Innertubes? What if I someday become a meme, a really bad meme!!

So it is with heavy heart, but still with a smirk, we ambivalently present IANOFT's Top 5 Schadenfreude Sites:
5. Lamebook -- Pretty funny Facebook blunders, made bittersweet when you consider the possible biological age/mental age of the people making the posts. The posts in which parents are calling out their youngsters within the discussion threads ("Who here's a virgin?" "Oh crap, sorry Mom, forgot I friended you") make me happy, though.

4. People of Walmart -- This site actually has a link for its hate mail (I love that), but really the haters have a weak argument. Are you being a big meanie if you post a picture of a 300-pound man wearing a thong and see-through bicycle shorts? Or are you chastising a very cruel and disrespectful 300-pound man and hopefully teaching him a lesson in social etiquette and manners. We should all consult our local priests and regroup on this important question.

3. This is Why You're Fat -- Oh, those people who occasionally eat shitty food. You're sooo much better than they are, aren't you? No, I'm not fat because I eat a cake made of 3 pizzas with Twinkies, ranch dressing, french fries, Rocky Road ice cream and bacon bits stuffed in between the layers. I'm just big boned. And this site made me totally crave a Monte Cristo sandwich, by the way.

2. The Dirty -- I don't club. And this site makes me glad I don't. If you looked at someone cross-eyed at a bar or dance club, chances are they put you on "blast, yo" on this site. The moderator/site owner (?) Nik seems like kind of a dick as he chimes in with insults (particularly regarding women's bodies), but there's some sort of needy Internet stardom the fake-baked, implanted and Ed Hardy-bedecked young people here are looking for. But there's also something weirdly intriguing about knowing who's a total player in your city. As I said, on the fence. Check here for your pics before job interviews.

1. Why the F Do You Have a Kid -- Honestly, this one will make you nervous for humanity. Even more so than you were before. Site NSFW, or a well-adjusted night-terror-free life.

No comments:

Post a Comment